Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Intermediate Fasting - My Daily Experiences

Where do I begin?  I suppose I should first talk about when I first recall hearing the word "fasting."  Growing up, I occasionally read about people in the Bible that did religious fasts and only knew that it meant people chose not to eat and focused on God rather than spending time hunting, preparing, or eating food.  But, it wasn't until 4 years ago, that I heard a friend talking more in depth about her own personal experiences with intermediate fasting.  I was 28 years old when my growing intrigue with fasting began.


My friend (Michelle) explained that she periodically fasted in order to cleanse her mind, body, and spirit.  I thought this was VERY interesting.  So, I asked her several questions to satisfy my curiosity about how one goes about a fast and how she physically felt during and after one.  Honestly, I assumed that I could never take on such an endeavor.  After all, it was hard for me to go longer than 2 hours with food!  Therefore, I just put the idea on me even attempting a fast on the proverbial shelf for the last 4 years, that is...until last month, Jan 2011. 


While everyone was making lofty and specific new year's resolutions to lose 50 pounds, quit smoking cigarretes, etc.  I had something else in mind.  I only wanted to detoxify my body and live a healthier, happier life.  For several days I thought about the best way to go about this personal goal. 


I wanted to try an intermediate fast.  My plan was to fast only 1 day a week and see if I noted a difference.  I wanted to feel more in touch with my Higher Power, and also get rid of all my physical ailments.  Keep in mind, I have high triglycerides, elevated liver enzymes, relatively serious tachycardia, and moderately high blood pressure.  Today, at age 32, I found the doctor telling me if I continued at this weight and in my declining health....I would probably end up being diabetic within the next few years!  I did not like hearing that!  That means it is time for a good change.

2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks again for reading my blog and taking the time to comment on the fasting experience. :-)
    I like your poetry how you blend a classic style with your Christian thoughts.

    I will check into the sermon you suggested and perhaps the website of those Orthodox practices of fasting.

    And, you are so right when you say that there are so many "health and spiritual benefits of fasting!" I see it as a combined wellness with many great effects for detoxing our body and mind.

    I am currently weighing in at about 215-220. My ultimate weight loss goal with fasting and healthy eating is about 145. However, I would be ecstatic to get down to about 180 or less. So far, those 1st 6 pounds of weight I lost from fasting for 2 days in the recent past has not come back on me :)...but I think that is b/c I did not overeat and slowly came off of that last fast?

    I hope several will join me in this fast this coming Tues., Feb. 8th...and please let me know by sending a message my way if you would like to.

    ReplyDelete